Manifesting Time: 1 action
Maintenance: Concentration, up to 1 minute
You can read the thoughts of certain creatures you can see within 30 feet of you. As a bonus action, you can activate the power on each of your turns while it is in effect. You continue reading a creature’s thoughts until the start of your next turn. A creature must think in a language you understand for you to learn anything.
If you can probe a creature’s mind, it must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a success, you gain no information, and it becomes aware its mind is being read.
While it is in effect, you can activate the power to read the surface thoughts of a creature, learning what it is actively thinking in that moment. A creature trained to protect its thoughts from telepathic reading may have means to mislead or stymie your efforts at the discretion of the DM.
0. When you augment the power with at least 5 power points, you can reactivate the power after reading a creature’s mind even if you can no longer see it as long as you don’t reactivate the power to read or probe a different creature’s mind.
1 [Probe]. When you activate the power, you can seek the answer to a general knowledge question, such as whether a specific person is at a certain location or if the creature is attempting to deceive you.
2. You can read emotions as well as thoughts; reading an emotion doesn’t require you to comprehend a creature’s thoughts.
3 [Probe]. You force the target to think of a specific topic, and then read its thoughts. For instance, you could learn when the watch shifts change at a warehouse, or you can cause the creature to think of the answer to a riddle it poses.
4. The distance you can read and probe a creature’s mind increases to 120 feet.
Empower. When you spend 6 power points (10), the distance increases to 5 miles.
5. After successfully reading a creature’s mind you are freely able to read its every thought until the start of your next turn.
7 [Probe]. You probe the creature’s mind for information that you are aware exists. For example, if you know a creature knows the proper way to unlock a special locking mechanism, you can withdraw that procedure.
8. Whenever a creature succeeds on its Wisdom saving throw against your probe attempts, you can use your reaction to mentally lash it. It must make an Intelligence saving throw. It takes 4d6 psychic damage on a failed save or half as much damage on a successful one. After taking this damage, the creature can voluntarily fail its save to resist your probe during future attempts.
Empower. For every 2 additional power points you spend, the psychic damage increases by 1d6.
11 [Probe]. You delve into a creature’s mind for any information it strip any direct or tangential information from it mind, including information you are unaware it has.
The DM will decide what information you learn. Secrets, scandalous information, and peculiar knowledge are most likely to be learned. When you reactive the power, you can gain further information regarding topics you uncover. For instance, you could root in the subject’s mind to find information about its king and discover the king is an imposter, and on later turns find out who is involved in the conspiracy.